19 May Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge, Visitor Services
Location: Prairie City, Iowa
Start Date: ~ As soon as possible!
Compensation: $600/week (18 weeks). Housing, round-trip transportation to the site, and health insurance provided. Hours qualify towards Public Lands Corps (PLC) noncompetitive hiring.
Application Due: As soon as possible! Please Apply HERE
Environment for the Americas seeks to engage ethnically and racially diverse professionals in natural resource careers.
This position offers a wonderful entry to the US Fish and Wildlife Service with the opportunity to engage in a variety of activities.
- Visitor Center Operations and Customer Service- assist with the visitor center operations which includes staffing visitor center desk, providing customer service, assisting volunteers, opening, and closing building, and basic cleaning, and maintenance tasks.
- Public Outreach and Interpretation – present environmental education programs, in person and virtually and develops curriculum and educational activities. Interns will assist in developing and conducting nature-based programs and walks for refuge visitors of a variety of ages and backgrounds. •Volunteer Management – Intern will support in recruiting and training volunteers and will assist leading and monitoring the progress of volunteer projects. Intern will aid in the planning and recognizing volunteers through events, meetings, and awards.
- Media and Communication – help with positively promoting the refuge using newspaper, radio, and social media and will draft and prepare a variety of written materials and responses including news releases, articles, correspondence, and event flyers to increase understanding of the USFWS mission, a special event, or related issues.
- Facility Management – monitor visitor facilities for safety, cleanliness, and accessibility and identifies and reports obvious maintenance, health, safety, and accessibility deficiencies.
- Natural Resource Management -support biological projects related to reconstructing tall grass prairie and oak savanna ecosystems
• Education/Prior experience in environmental education, interpretation, fish and wildlife
conservation, natural resource management or recreational use of Federal lands
• Basic knowledge of concepts, principles, and practices of visitor services management
• Valid state driver’s license and the ability to operate passenger vehicles and light trucks
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident
- Workweek involves 40 hours per week, weekends may be included
- A valid driver’s license
- If you are a veteran, you may apply up to age 35
- UnderPublic Land Corps requirements, as provided by the Office of Personnel Management, you MUST be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. legal resident to be eligible for any position
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org