31 Aug Sustainability and Climate Resource Assistant – Hybrid – Ogden, UT
Start/End Dates: February 5, 2024 – September 30, 2024
Compensation: $650 per week + $1000 monthly for housing
Medical insurance provided on request.
Application Due: October 31, 2023
The Resource Assistants Program seeks to engage ethnically and racially diverse young professionals in natural resource careers.
You must be:
- a U.S. citizen or legal resident.
- a college graduate.
* Public transportation is an option for this position.
As a Research Assistant (RA), you will have the opportunity to work directly under the guidance of the Regional Sustainability and Climate Coordinator in our regional office. The work environment is dynamic, offering a blend of independent work, collaboration within teams, and engagement in virtual online settings. You will help lead the region in developing and maintaining sustainability, climate, and green team programs.
- assisting in developing and compiling information for the region’s Climate Action Tracker. Topic areas include: vulnerability assessments, climate adaptation, monitoring, carbon, environmental justice, and sustainable operations including energy, water, fleet and transportation, waste prevention and recycling, and green purchasing. The RA will be a point-of-contact online and in-person.
- Take notes in a variety of meetings in-person and virtually, and be able to take a lot of information and condense into complete, concise bullets.
- Help lead the region in developing and maintaining sustainability, climate, and green team programs. Work will include assisting in developing and compiling information for the region’s Climate Action Tracker. Topic areas include: vulnerability assessments, climate adaptation, monitoring, carbon, environmental justice, and sustainable operations including energy, water, fleet and transportation, waste prevention and recycling, and green purchasing.
- Attend the next regional climate change workshop in Boise, Idaho from June 3-7, 2024, and serve as part of the organizing team. Regional external program information: https://www.fs.usda.gov/goto/cc.
- 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA
- Good writing and computer skills
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Power Point, and preferably GIS
- Highly self-motivated and professional
- Willing to speak in front of large groups of people.
- Completed major studies relevant to this position, such as biology, ecology, engineering, environmental science
- Several years of increasing responsibility in professional positions. Experience leading teams and interacting with the public will be helpful.
- Outstanding organizational skills, ability to understand complex scientific information and develop clear and concise summaries, ability to work both independently and in teams, comfortable talking in front of large groups of people.
* An advanced degree is a plus.
National info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/managing-land/sc. The Intermountain Region has approximately 34 million acres in the National Forest Service located in Nevada, Utah, Southern Idaho, Southwestern Wyoming, Eastern California, and Western Colorado. There are 19 national forests administered by 12 Supervisor’s Office and approximately 2,200 permanent employees in the Region.
Direct Hire Authority (DHA)
All RAP interns receive Direct Hire Authority (DHA) at the successful conclusion of their internship. DHA status enables an agency to hire, after public notice is given, any qualified applicant. A DHA expedites hiring by eliminating competitive rating and ranking, veterans’ preference, and “rule of three” procedures. For more information, please click HERE.
Environment for the Americas provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com