28 Feb Trail System Intern
Wayne National Forest
This position has been filled.
Start Date: June 6, 2022 – February 6, 2023 (Approximate)
Compensation: $650 per week + support for lodging and transportation
Application Due: March 28, 2022
The Resource Assistants Program seeks to engage ethnically and racially diverse young professionals in natural resource careers.
Location: Pedro, Ohio
Position Description: The Trail System Intern will deal heavily with trails and managing data and projects for a variety of trails to include 50 miles of horse trails, 63 miles of OHV, and 43 miles of hiking/backpacking trails through the beautiful foothills of Appalachia. The position will include updating NRM trail data, creating trail construction plans, facilitate sign plan for trails and trail heads.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect data for trail condition surveys that will be entered into NRM.
- Create trail logs to facilitate trail construction packets. Work with partners and Forest Service employees to conduct trail construction projects.
- Install signs to inform the public of trail heads and trail locations.
Natural and Physical Work Environment: The Wayne National Forest, located in the Appalachian foothills of southeastern Ohio, encompasses approximately 244,000 acres across 12 counties. The forest is predominantly composed of oak dominated ecosystems with mixed hardwoods and smaller clusters of pine. It includes gentle hills and steep ridges interspersed with bluffs and rock formations, and the vast Ohio River and several smaller rivers flow through and around it.
Abilities and Skills:
- Ability to hike many miles with 15 lbs. of equipment
- Ability to operate a federal vehicle is (OHV and ½ ton pickup)
- Ability to input data into an online database utilizing a tablet or laptop
- Ability to utilize Microsoft office to write reports and spreadsheets
- Ability to work with hand tools
- Ability to read a tape measure
- Trail work experience
Education and Qualifications: Relevant degree such as Recreation Management, Civil/General Engineering, or Construction Management
** Applicants should have personal transportation and must possess a valid U.S. Driver’s License.