07 Mar Trails/Recreation Resource Assistant
THIS JOB HAS BEEN FILLED
Start Date: June 6, 2022- December 6, 2022
Compensation: $650/week + support for lodging and transportation
Application Due: March 28, 2022
The Resource Assistants Program seeks to engage ethnically and racially diverse young professionals in natural resource careers.
Location: Bishop, CA
Position Description: The Trails/ Recreation Resource Assistant will work on recreation management with the Bishop and Lone Pine Ranger Districts. The RA will participate in the recreation program assisting forest staff with trail and wilderness management, special uses administration, recreation site maintenance, coordination with fire/timber and other functions, recreation utilization analysis, volunteer/partner coordination, and wilderness and trails management/maintenance. The position will be working with both personnel from Bishop and Lone Pine Ranger Districts with the duty station in Bishop CA.
- Gather, compile and recommend improvements for recreation sites on the unit. Serve as inspector on service projects ensuring work is completed properly.
- Processes simple special use authorization renewals and assists with the processing of special use terminations, revocations, or suspensions as needed, completing appropriate documentation to support action.
- Urban & Community Forestry Program Projects: Potential work includes: grant management, researching and coordinating with partners on upcoming events and compiling information in a weekly bulletin/newsletters.
- Work with partner organizations and universities to develop new tools and analytics to interpret and process trails and social media data.
- Provide input on rehabilitation of wilderness campsites, and serve as an integral team member to improve trails/ trail heads and assist in trails restoration projects.
Natural and physical work environment:
The RA may be required to travel and work in the backcountry and other remote locations on the forest, independently, and in teams. Fieldwork and administrative work in an office required. Driving on and navigating forest roads and hiking may be required. Requires working throughout the day in high temperatures and exposure to the sun.
The Eastern Sierra of California on the Inyo National Forest has:
- One of the oldest lakes in North America Mono Lake – Mono Lake Ranger District
- Artemia monica, the variety commonly known as Mono Lake brine shrimp – Mono Lake Ranger District
- One of the largest breeding colonies of California Gulls in the world – Mono Lake Ranger District
- Largest Jeffery Pine forest in the world – Mammoth Ranger District
- One of the most striking mountain features in the Sierra Nevada – “Minarets” – Mammoth Ranger District
- Access to Devil’s Postpile a unique geological feature – Mammoth Ranger District
- Mammoth Lakes Basin
- 14 of the 15 highest peaks the California “Fourteeners” are on the forest or the Pacific Crest of the Inyo National Forest
- The oldest trees in the world – Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest – White Mountain Ranger District
- Palisade Glacier – the largest of 60 glaciers in the Sierra Nevada – White Mountain Ranger District
- The highest point in the continental US – Mount Whitney 14,505’– Mount Whitney Ranger District
- Gateway to the lowest point in the continental US – Badwater, Death Valley -282’ below sea level–Mount Whitney Ranger District
There are various supermarkets, convenience stores, and specialty stores located within Bishop and the surrounding communities
Education and Qualifications: Previous field experience and a degree in Biological Sciences, Ecology, Forest Resources/Forestry, Hydrology, Outdoor Recreation, or Physical Science
- Direct experience conducting arduous field work and working as part of a team in a remote setting (required)
- Direct experience interacting with the public in a customer service role (required)
- Direct experience as Wilderness patrol.
- 1st aid CPR
- State Driver’s License and Defensive driving certification
**Applicants should have personal transportation and must possess a valid U.S. Driver’s License.